Andrew Ferguson, ESR at Sorbonne University had a 3 month secondment with IBM from 25 February to 25 April 2022.
The secondment aim is to design a new almost exact solver for quadratic ordinary differential equations resulting from discretization of Navier Stokes equations in 2D. This will involve the following steps:
- (1) discretizing Navier Stokes equations in space,
- (2) discretizing the resulting differential equation in time, and
- (3) applying polynomial optimization techniques to the resulting model.
The activities involved in the secondment includes:
- reading research papers on the discretization of Navier Stokes equations in 2D
- deriving a series of polynomial systems from the discretization.
- applying Gröbner basis techniques to the resulting polynomial systems.